Monday, August 29, 2011

Writing and I


Writing and I have never gotten along. I have always struggled to write a paper that is fluid the whole way through. Transitioning from one point to the next was never one of my strong suits. I would start by talking about one of the main topics of the paper and when that was over, just quickly start talking about the next topic.  Another thing that always got me was my use of vocabulary. When writing a paper, I usually do not use wide variety of words. This is why, in high school, my papers always suffered. Throughout my four years in high school, I wrote a paper every other week. Writing so much did have its benefits. I became good at explaining something in very specific detail. Detailed writing is one of my specialties. The description of certain things in one of my essays or papers was to the fullest extent. I tended to use detail enough to keep the paper going as long as I could. In addition to description, I also mastered the style of factual writing. If I were assigned a research paper to write, I would not stop until I covered every angle of the topic. I want every reader to know as much of what I am talking about as I do. This helps when I need to write multiple pages on one research topic.

As a writer, there are many improvements that I can make. One, which is probably the most important, would be the actual transitions from one subject to another, as well as, from one paragraph to another. Jumping from one topic to the next without a smooth and easy to read transition just confuses the reader, which is what I usually do. I tend to make quick jumps. These jumps always throw the reader off. They begin by reading one thing and out of nowhere they are reading something else. I have to learn how to make my writing seamless. When I can learn how to make my writings seamless, I will become that much better as a writer. That is what I think this class will help me with.

My anticipations for this class are pretty high. I expect this class to improve all of my major and minor writing flaws. All the mistakes I have made in the past will be corrected this semester in this class. Along with that, everything that I am good at will be strengthened by this class. I will master my strengths.


Art Nouveau is a puzzling type of artwork all together but I do not get this piece at all. This piece confuses me a little. The thing that strikes me most about this piece is the ribbon. Is the ribbon really necessary? Does it have a purpose for surrounding the rest of the piece?

This is considered ‘art’ because it makes us think. If everyone had the same thoughts about one specific piece then it wouldn’t be art at all. Art is supposed to be thought-provoking and that is what this is.

No comments:

Post a Comment